What and Why?
Teacher data about years of teaching and TA experience and race/ethnicity of teachers. Examining this data will help us understand disparities in access to experienced teachers, and how well the demographics of teachers aligns with the demographics of students at each school.
Key Findings: Teacher Demographics
- While the majority of teachers are white, the majority of students are Hispanic / Latinx. There is a lower percentage of Hispanic / Latinx teachers than students.
- The percentage of Black or African American teachers (7%) is close to the percentage of Black or African American students (8%).
- There is a lower percentage of Asian teachers (3%) than Asian students (5%).
Key Findings: Teacher Experience
- AISD teachers have an average of 10.52 years of professional / admin experience.
- Teachers who teach in very high vulnerability neighborhoods have an average of 2 years less experience than teachers who teach in very low vulnerability ones.
- Teachers who teach in schools with a high proportion of underserved students have an average of 1.5 years less experience.